Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"You do not have to sit outside in the dark. If, however, you want to look at the stars, you will find that darkness is required...."

I find myself wondering sometimes, is this a dark time in our lives? because GOD is shining so bright through the midst of what our natural minds register as great affliction. I must attest to my own personal reality, while being so close to the one I love so deeply, the one I cherish and look up to for so many reasons, I didn't think I would be afforded the opportunity to grow more in love and more proud of the man GOD had chosen for me.

To me, Rick is a star; and his light shines far brighter than it ever has. Yes, cancer is dark and it is ugly. But, the darkness of cancer is not what should define or determine how we see life. I think of Rick's constant attitude since the day we learned of his diagnosis. He said, "I am honored to be chosen." I also remember a Sunday morning church service months ago. Pastor Bob was preaching from the book of Acts and encouraging the church to the mission field. As Bob prayed with and for us, he asked for those who felt led to be "sent out" by GOD to come forward. He expressed the Jewish word, "Hineni" which means, I Am Here For You, O’ GOD. At the time, I had a strong desire to serve in Haiti. Immediately, I went forward, repeating, "Hineni, Hineni" in my heart. A couple of minutes later, I felt Rick behind me. I wondered to myself what he was doing standing at the alter, obviously very happy, but knowing Rick isn't a big "missions" guy... After the service I asked him why he went forward. He told me he was ready to go wherever GOD wanted to send him. Basically, "Here I am, send me." Since Rick's commitment, the LORD has certainly prepared him for the mission field. The field of suffering and sacrifice, humility and uncertainty- not in a far off foreign country or a dead city down the road, but, right here, right now, improv style. GOD'S thoughts are not our thoughts, and our ways are not His ways. For as heaven is higher than earth, so His ways are higher than our ways, and His thoughts than our thoughts. Isaiah 55:8–9

Today we went to Rick's follow-up appointment with Dr. Mahmood. As I write this my heart is still cheering, "Thank You, LORD!!" Great visit. Rick's white blood cell count was @ 8,000 which is very good. (68% good, healthy cells/ 24% lymphocytes-cancer cells). This is so awesome! Rick's lymphocytes were 76% in April. Dr. M says his WBC will continue to drop even more over the next 4-5 days, this being normal, than it will start to go back up again. He is now on an additional 5 new Rx, some to prevent infection for next treatment which is scheduled for early July, 1 a chemo drug and 1 for anxiety. I have to think Rick impressed Dr. M today. With reports of little side effects, no weight loss, and health at a very good standard, Dr. M said Rick is doing "exceedingly well." You can only imagine how great this was to hear! Of course, Rick responded with, "It's all the prayer.." and I must agree. It is by GOD'S grace and His grace alone that Rick or I are even able to have the honor and opportunity to share what His great and merciful power is doing in our lives.

Rick has a full next few days ahead. We would be very grateful if you would continue praying for him, especially for these things:
  • Thursday he will be getting a full blood work up done. Please pray that all markers read favorable and healthy for Rick.
  • Friday Rick will be going in to Dr. M's office to receive an hour-long 'out-patient' chemo treatment. Please pray that GOD would choose to protect him from all side-effects.
  • The worst of his side-effects so far have been tremendous anxiety. Please pray that the LORD would remove this from Rick so that he would not have to take medication, that Rick would be given rest and comfort. OR peace in his suffering.
  • Pray for continued peace, strength, courage, faith and trust in GOD, for our family.

Finally, I have to say how loving and good our GOD is for continuously sending wonderful family and friends to us with delicious meals, beautiful cards and emails of encouraging words- and most of all for every single prayer that is spoken on our behalf, I pray an extra measure is given back to you. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

"So we have been greatly encouraged in the midst of our troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives us new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How we thank God for you! Because of you we have great joy as we enter God’s presence. Night and day we pray earnestly for you, asking God to let us see you again to fill the gaps in your faith. May God our Father and our Lord Jesus bring us to you very soon. And may the Lord make your love for one another and for all people grow and overflow, just as our love for you overflows. May He, as a result, make your hearts strong, blameless, and holy as you stand before God our Father when our Lord Jesus comes again with all His holy people. Amen." (1 Thessalonians 3:7-13 NLT)


LIFE & PEACE,
WITH LOVE, IN CHRIST~

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment