Friday, June 11, 2010

One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity.

Half way through Day 4, which is technically Day 3 by the doctor's standard. (Tuesday was 'Day 0'; a day of prepping known as immuno-therapy) Rick is doing really great!--considering. Dr. Tran was in last night for Dr. Mahmood and told Rick that he has already gained the reputation of a very good patient. Rick loved hearing this, especially since he has been putting in the time. His "workouts" have not stopped and he has actually increased his walking today. I catch myself referring to Rick being at the hospital, by mistakenly calling it 'the hotel'..OK, they both start with -H-. but, honestly, the staff and care is that of a hotel, and in some ways even better. Rick has room service! He has the option of ordering whatever he would like to eat from a three page menu, when he is hungry. (And as much as he wants..) A nice perk for being on the cancer floor.
By God's grace, lots of prayer and anti-nausea meds, Rick is handling the chemo pretty well. He's actually gettin' HUGE during his stay at 'the hotel'. Weeks ago, Dr. Mahmood told Rick that he'd like to see him put on 10 lbs. before he starts treatment--due to loss of appetite, vomiting, etc. He wanted Rick to have some to lose. Well, as of today, my fighter is 13 lbs. heavier than Tuesday! Rick and I had to laugh...hey, nothing like a little steroid, a couple of double cheese burgers, a few milk shakes, some chocolate chip cookies, daily IV fluids, and water retention won't do. Today, the nurse does have him on Lasix to help relieve the water retention.

I asked Rick yesterday if he thought before starting this process, that he would feel the way he does now? He said he anticipated to feel much worse. This is so good to hear. And even better to see; although I remember a nurse telling me the patient has the hardest time once they leave the hospital..."What kinda 'hotel' is this?" Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?... (note: I am 1/2 joking in my mind.., and asking GOD to go easy on Rick.)
He looks GREAT too! He just doesn't look sick. I thank GOD for his generous mercy today.
We constantly meet incredible people at 'the hotel'. All the nurses are so compassionate and eager to help.
This is so wonderful. One of Rick's nurses, Pam, shared her faith in Jesus Christ with us. We had the opportunity to talk alot about the LORD and to pray with her. Another assistant, Yolanda, opened up to us about how she just recently came to a real relationship with GOD. Her testimony was so beautiful and it truly blessed Rick and I. We were also honored to pray with her. Our clinical social worker, Suzanne, is so wonderful and helpful, also a believer, just blessed our day yesterday too.
Rick and I agree that he is right where GOD wants him, in spite of what we may have thought. HIS comfort is priceless.

We continue to ask GOD, boldly, that He remove all cancer from Rick's body, that HE would choose to heal Rick completely. We pray for Rick's peace, strength and health through this fight. We pray for the LORD to command the doctors, nurses and medicine to do good by Rick.

On another note, some of you have asked how I and the girls are holding up. I thank you so much for your acknowledgement and concern. Your support and love, and especially your prayers, that I feel carrying me through GOD'S power, mean more than we can say. I can't put into words the peace I have, but I do know where it comes from.

I am eternally grateful for your faithfulness in believing, in hoping, in doing and in loving.
TO GOD BE THE GLORY.

Life and peace~

Dana

2 comments:

  1. This is such an encouraging update, guys! Rick, we are so grateful for how the Lord is getting you through this. All glory to Him!

    Dana, do you and the girls need anything? Do you need any errands run, meals prepared? Anything? Feel free to call.

    We love you all--and we are praying for God's healing, His protection, His provision, His presence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Donna, Dana. I am available to run errands, do laundry, bake cookies to fatten Rick up, whatever. I am so thankful to the Creator, our sustainer, for the life and testimony of MERCY he has given.

    And, of course. Rick will be THE BEST patient St. Joe's has ever had (besides me), because he is THE BEST (besides me).

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete